Thursday, November 3, 2011

Comfort Zones

Howdy all, It's that time again where I get to write down thoughts I have on the Philosophy of Religion and the question of Theodicy...not really that would be awful for both you and me. I would like to share with you what a significant portion of my summer consisted of. I spent half of this summer in Branson, Missouri working a K-Kountry, a Christian summer camp for 7-11 year olds where it's all about fun, our slogan is "The Happiest Place on Earth." and it really is, if you know Kelsey Evans or Bubby Harrell they can attest to that. Working at kamp (it's all about the K) was a tremendous blessing. Honestly I was far from 'pumped' to work this summer. It was going to require sacrifice, I was going to be pushed out of my comfort zone and I was going to be making far less money as a counselor than I would have made working at home, but sometimes we have to take risks and I can say now I am so glad I followed God's call for my summer and went to Branson.

Kamp was a blast, I got to work with some amazing college students from around the country and I got to see kids experience a real encounter with the God of the universe. I consider this summer one of the most rewarding experiences while also being one of the most exhausting, and if given the opportunity I would do it again in a heartbeat. I learned so much while working, I learned what it meant to sell out for Christ and give it your all... Even when I was tired and worn out, because I was there to give kids the best summer of their lives and show them Christ.

I learned real quick that I could not do it on my own. I was a parent, a coach and a friend to a bunch of kids 24/7 for 4 weeks and it wore me out. This summer I learned how to rely on God to get through the hard times. It was the mourning quiet time and late-night porch talks with my co-consoler that made waking up that next day much easier. It was the encouragement and prayer that help me realize that I had to strip away flesh and remember I was there for the kids. In the end all of the piggy back rides up the hill after ultimate recess, all the cheers and skits, all the kids jumping on you and tackling you in the swimming pool, all the long days teaching archery and tennis were worth every second of it. I saw kids live's changed. I saw God's spirit move and I had a lot of fun along the way.

Sometimes God calls us to step out of our comfort zone, it won't be easy, but it will be rewarding, both in your life as well as in others.

Adios,
JS
Currently listening to: "Let Us Love" by NeedToBreathe

No comments:

Post a Comment